Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ceefax racing service to be axed

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who hasn't subscribed to Sky. I've been holding out but there comes a point when you have to throw in the towel and admit Mr Murdoch has won. I think, right now, I'm getting pretty close to that point.

Take today, for example. BBC Two are offering cycling, MotoGP, eventing from Italy and the highlights of a 5k road race. In addition the aforementioned broadcaster informs me that it has bought the rights to American Football.

The final straw has come with the news, reported in The Daily Mail, that the BBC is to axe its Ceefax racing service at the end of the year. I simply can't believe this. I spend most Sunday afternoons watching Ceefax live betting shows, a distraction from the surrounding mayhem of the Tips' family household. What am I to do now? This preposterous decision indicates the BBC can no longer claim to be a 'socially responsible' broadcaster.

No comments: