Friday, September 01, 2006

A sense of expectation


There's no denying, as I walk in to work in the morning, it's just that little bit cooler.

Early autumn is a time of year I like; there's the new National Hunt season to look forward to.

For years I've been going to the first meeting of the season at Ludlow (pictured above), usually held on the second Thursday in October. It's an informal meet held in the picturesque Shropshire countryside; it's also one of the very few courses where I've done reasonably well on the betting front.

This year, as my fiftieth birthday approaches, we're breaking with tradition and going to Kempton for Kempton Park Gold Cup day.

More often than not though the expectation generated at this time of year is replaced by crushing disillusionment when next April is upon us.

No comments: