Friday, July 21, 2006

The Sportsman enters administration

Barely four months after its launch, BBC Ceefax reported last night that The Sportsman newspaper had entered administration with immediate effect.

Publication is set to continue while chiefs attempt to secure additional funding.

The Times' City Diary reported a week or so ago that Kelvin MacKenzie, former editor of The Sun, had looked over the books and decided to walk away.

With that sort of recommendation, the odds look stacked against this betting newspaper surviving much longer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad for those involved in it, but after its failure to launch as planned for Cheltenham , and its awful appearance (I could only bring myself to buy it once), it was inevitable.
There is room for a rival to the RP I'm sure, for a paper which treats its readers as intellligent beings. I'd like the Sporting Life back, but I suppose that's unrealistic

GeeDee said...

There's no doubt that with the end of the Life we saw the passing of an era. I always used to prefer the Life to the Post; somewhere in my attic lies the final edition. I don't think it's about to make a sudden comeback but I'm intrigued by the decision to retain the brand in electronic format on the web.

Anonymous said...

I had a job interview at The Sportsman six weeks before the launch. It was clear to me that they had not got a clue what they were doing. It is an excited boys' club down there, putting together a paper they want to write but nobody wants to buy. I rejected a second interview. Thank God.